NOW THAT YOUR ROOT CANAL TREATMENT IS COMPLETE….
You may experience some discomfort for the next few days. This is a common occurrence and if necessary you can take any over-the-counter medications as directed to quiet the tooth.
The opening that was made in your tooth to do the root canal has been sealed with a temporary filling. Please arrange to see your family dentist within the next few weeks to have your tooth permanently restored.
If you have been advised to take medication, please follow the instructions carefully. If you are not clear on how to take the prescribed medication(s) you may contact out office for clarification.
Usually, a tooth that requires root canal treatment has been weakened by previous decay and / or large fillings. It is often necessary for the tooth to receive additional protection by restoring it with a crown (cap). Your family dentist is best qualified to determine the ideal restoration for your tooth. Discuss the alternatives with their office.
A summary of your treatment and x-ray of the completed root canal will be sent to your dentist. We would like you to return to our office for a check-up to be sure that the tissues around the tooth have healed properly.
If you have any questions or concerns in regard to your tooth, please call us at any time.
INSTRUCTIONS FOLLOWING ENDODONTIC SURGERY
- Do not lift or pull on lips. This may cause tearing out of the sutures.
- Some swelling and discoloration is normal and will gradually disappear.
- To minimize swelling; use the ice pack applications on the face over the operated area only. The pack should be used for 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off for the rest of today.
- Rinse your mouth gently with plan water or the provided prescription oral rinse after meals and before bed. Continue this until healing is complete.
- Eat foods that will be nourishing but will not require vigorous chewing for the first 24 hours after the surgery such as eggs, soups, milk shakes, etc.
- Slight bleeding during the first day is normal.
- Be extremely careful while brushing around the operated area.
- If you experience any elevation in temperature, excessive bleeding, swelling or uncontrolled discomfort, please do not hesitate to call our office at 301-868-5500 regardless of which office you were seen in.
- Do not use alcohol, tobacco products or carbonated beverages for the next 24 hours.